Monday, February 18, 2008

Pre-trip info

Hello, its Graham writing to you. Time for another cycling trip. This one will be very different than the others I've done... there are 5 of my family and friends coming along! We are cycling a 2 week, 450km loop in the Tuscany region of Italy. Tuscany is one of the most highly-rated cycling destinations in the world, with plenty of things to see and do, lots of accomodation and restaurants, as well as quiet, beautiful roads through consistently pleasant scenery. We are flying in and out of Florence, Tuscany's biggest city, a major tourist destination unto itself. A listing of participants:

Me (Graham Durrant)
Liz Heyland (my girlfriend)
Nancy Durrant (my sister)
Tim Anderson (her husband, and a University friend of mine)
Bruce Durrant (my father)
Kenton Dulling (my friend)

Logistics: To account for the significant variability in cycling experience amongst the group, we have adapted a packing strategy that will allow for everyone to have an enjoyable ride and for no one to be left behind. I am fairly strong and very experienced cyclist (and a bit masochistic to boot), so I will be pulling a trailer carrying 3 people's worth of gear: mine, Liz's, and my father's, as well as the tools, spare tubes, etc. Tim and Kenton are both solid cyclists, and will carry their own gear, plus Tim will carry my sister's gear. Nancy, Liz, and my father will ride completely unladen - just the bike and themselves. Should make the Tuscan hills challenging but do-able for all!

Today (Monday February 18th) we all fly to Italy... the first riding day will probably be Thursday, February 21. There may be Florence pics uploaded before then. Enjoy the ride!

No comments: