Thursday, February 28, 2008

February 28 :: Asciano, Italy

February 28 :: Asciano, Italy :: 44km / 294km total

A great breakfast at the hotel set us up well for a good ride to Asciano. As the group left one by one, and I assumed my usual back-of-the-pack start, the unthinkable happened: my bike fell over and (surprisingly) snapped the hitch connection to the trailer! "This isn't happening" I murmured, and set about to juryrig a connection. Using a backup safety-rope from the trailer hitch I was able to wrap a fairly solid connection, but still was hesitant as I rolled away from the castle, both watching the trailer and trying to ride down the group. The road turned upwards (its not a real cycling day in Tuscany without lots of tough climbs), and it was just at hilltop Pienza that I caught them... trailer faithfully in tow.

Away from Pienza the road descended, and Liz made sure I was wearing my helmet, now with the trailer having a bit more life of it's own. Tim's knee was suffering a bit, so I had the added fun of carrying along 30 more pounds of gear. More descents, more climbs, a toilet without a seat, but solidly we made it early into Asciano, everyone seeming to find their rhythm. Two more cycling days left!!

No comments: